13 August 2009

Crushed My Finger

Ouch, right? You probably first noticed the displacement of the tip of the bone, but don't miss all the other fractures!

I dropped my carport on my finger this afternoon. I was jacking it up to re-install the middle post at the far end which had been removed to facilitate some back hoe work. My left hand was under the post, and I only needed to go the teeniest bit higher to get it over the rebar poking up through the cement block. The rebar is meant to go in a small hole drilled in the bottom of the post.

I had the barest hint of a thought of the danger, and seconds later, the jack tipped over and the jacking post fell down. The whole carport dropped and pinned the middle and ring fingers of my left hand between the post I was attempting to re-install and cement footing block the post would rest on below. I couldn't pull my hand out, so I had to crash my hip against the post and force the same kind of failure that happened by itself with the jack and jacking post.

The doc in the ER said, "Oh. . . wow. . . yeah, that's really bad. . . " Most of the flesh of the tip of my finger was pulled loose and split open, pushed out to the side. He did a bunch of cutting and snipping and poking and prodding to stitch the tip back on - 14 stitches. The nail may never grow back, and my finger will probably heal real ugly. If I ever wanted to flip someone off, just think how effective it'd be with such gnarly, ugly finger! Just trying to look on the bright side ;-)!

It's slow going typing with one hand and I want more Percocet, so I'm going to bed. Good night and God bless, please pray for my healing and that I really learn the lessons that can be learned from this incident.

Grace and peace!

Jake

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, pobrecito Gatito!!!
¿Entonces te puedo llamar "4.5"?
Tengo un amigo que es llamado así, perdió un pedacito de dedo jugando con fuegos artificiales.

Anonymous said...

Dude , THat looks really painful. Glad it wasn't worse and that you are still your feisty self.

Keep us posted about this Sunday's events!!

Dess