Has it really been that long since I've posted? But then I've made no claims to be posting soon, either, have I? (A turkey hen has visited me a few times at the cabin, Lindsay. . . )
So, I have a job again, as hard as that might be to imagine. I'm working as a deckhand on the tug boat Millennium Star. Click on the link for pictures:
http://www.harleymarine.com/gallery/tugs/t-otb/milstar/milstar1.html
We're dragging an 80,000 barrel capacity oil barge around behind us, and as I type this, we're tied up on the Columbia River in Portland, Oregon. In a couple hours we'll be getting underway for San Francisco. I'm working from 0000 to 0600 and 1200 to 1800 - my body is not doing very well adjusting to the schedule. I've been at it for three weeks, with two to go, and then I'll have five weeks off. Five on/five off to pay for seminary distance learning, and maybe a new four by four, since my Trooper died a horrible death.
I have purchased tickets for a trip to Thailand with the youth group from church. We're going to help some believers in the Golden Triangle area near Myanmar and Laos build a church. I have been getting more and more involved with the Nazarene Church in Chelan, and am really developing a genuine fondness for the kids in the youth group. They're the greatest!
I just finished reading "The Shack" and highly recommend it for a unique perspective on relationship with God. Here's what I came away with, and though you'd think I'd have figured this out by now, it's finally and truly really in the marrow of my bones now: God is good! He loves me! I trust Him! (If you've ever been a person who even subconsciously thought you had to earn God's love, or wondered if He really had your best interests in mind, this is a book for you.)
That sums up for now. I think my next post is likely to be about the trip to Thailand. We'll be there between the 14th and 28th of August. Please keep us in your prayers; I'll defer to the Holy Spirit for suggesting ideas of how to pray.
Grace and Peace,
Jake
PS: Joel and Dess, I can't say enough how great it was to have you guys over celebrating my thirtieth birthday! Praise God for friends like you!
PPS: Thanks for the happy Birthday wish, Rebekah, it was blessed and groovy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It is good to hear what you are doing. We hope we can see you when you get back in town!
Hey bro. Good to read your stuff. Happy belated birthday and welcome to the 30's. Try not to have too much fun on the tug, eh? haha I can't believe you're a deckhand! Well anyways bless you, bro. Love in Christ, Jacob
Hey Capt Jake,
We had a great time with you on your birthday. Thanks for letting us share it with you.
We are in Canada visiting Joel's fam. It is so crazy that we don't get time to our selves. But it is a lot of fun and not much time to think about what is going on in our own thoughts and feelings.
Have fun with what you are doing. And to God be the glory!!!
Hi Jake,
I'm getting my Merchant Mariner Documents for entry level position and I am interested in a tugboat deckhand position and I live in Portland Oregon. Can you give me any advice about getting a position?
KCW
Post a Comment